My blog is pants...

Random stuff from the Bronster... especially good to read if you happen to like me.

Monday, August 08, 2005

Well.. now I've recovered from the weekend (if I get that knakkered after just two days! dread to think how i will react to tournament this year!!) I can write more about the matches and my trip.
I set off from Cambridge about 7.40am... I was planning to set off at 7am, but I'd somehow managed to convince myself that 7am was the time I HAD to be out of bed... anyway... finally got on the road... it was a lovely drive through the state and then into the next state (which I have never done before! exciting) I managed to make it there in just over 3 hours, which amazed Debbie (my friend from High School) cos it usually takes her 4. Met her cat Ketzel to just instantly liked me, which Debbie was very surprised at. She usually attacks people at first sight... Ketzel, not Debbie.
I'd not eaten yet so we decided to go to that mighty fine resturant - Denny's. I love Dennys, only becuase they have veggie burgers!
So then we were trying to think what to do, and the only thing I knew about Minnesota was THe Mall Of America - the USA's biggest mall. So off we toottled. It indeed was large - with a full Snoopy themed Theme park in the middle! Madness. Wish we'd had more time really. I spent about $10, half of that was on a smoothie...
So then we headed back to Debbies and I got my stuff ready for the show.
We went to pic up Debbies Chinese friend, Wai, and off we went. I wanted to get there early as I tend to get nervous and stress out... and then we hit an art fair! Almost literally! Got stuck in traffic for about 20 minutes... finally found somewhere to park and I got there... everyone was very relaxed about the show, so I managed to be relaxed too. It was great seeing a couple of familiar faces, and meeting people I'd not met before. INcluding a lady, who was about my age, and for some reason I've blanked on her name!, who went to Middleton High School, and knew some people I knew! Madness. Anyhoo...
THE FIRST MATCH
Mary, the manager and captain of my team, went through how they usually play their matches. Some cool ideas I may pinch in there. They took out 5 Things as, even though we've workshopped it, we've really never got it right, and I wasn't confident about it... it was the only game I really wasn't keen on trying... and in the review of the second match you'll discover why... anyway. So we started with a cool guessing game called 'Home Shopping Channel'.. where Doug (who I'd met previously in DC in 2003, and again last year in Milwaukee, 2004)and I were presenters of a home shopping show. We had to guess what Mary was miming.. they were easy things to guess, the emphasis being on the interaction between the two presenters. Doug played a rather camp guy and I was his ditzy blonde companion. We won that game.
Next we played Soap Opera... funny as we dont play that in the UK either, as we dont have soap operas like the USA... basically I just went OTT and it was fun. We came up with a new name for a woman who is a man: muman. Funny. the next game we played was Blind Line (which I chose and found out later that Doug hates that game..oops). Was rather funny. It was about a portapotty. Turned out I was someone who worked with them and I was teaching Doug how to use them... and how to sell them etc... so then one of his lines said something like 'You're the only one for me' and it turned into a love story... it all went a bit strange after that.
I would normally have chosen a guessing game but Twin Cities as a rule dont tend to play scene guessing games, which was hard for me, as that's my best area usually. Anyway, to end the first half we played Continuation, and I was specifialy asked to do regional accents to throw off the cocky guy on the other team! lol it was funny I started out being scottish, then he changed it to Irish, thenI changed it to Cornish, then it just went mad and a unichorn was involved somehow... was funny.
Second half went by in a blur. We played A B Scene to start, as head to head... hard work.. I got 'f' at one point and before that was told something ab it insulting.. so I just appologised for what I wanted to say and walked off. The next scene game we did was replay, which went quite well, I did my usual trick of picking the character that didn't have to talk... i played a cow. Then the blue team were trailing so much at the end they challenged us to Foot IN Mouth (*which we call Worlds Worst) ... but sdaid that ONLY I WAS ALLOWED TO PLAY IT... so it was me vs the blueteam... and WE STILL WON! Yay... dont remember any that I really did... mostly cos the video cut out and I can only usually remember mathces from the video !
Anyway.. I wasn't supposed to be playing the second match, but I wantede to so was easily talked into it.
SECOND MATCH
Memory gets even hazier from this point... it was now 10.30pm, I'd been awake since before 7am... I was tired... I felt I'd used up all my 'Hey look I'm British' gimmicks in the first match, so I felt a but dry.
We started wtih Story which went weird, and I dropped out first, I'm not great at that game. Then people kept appologising as it wasn't going how it usually went or something. The first scene game we played was Columns. That's not the game we play called Columns btw. You get two audience members up and every time you want a word or anything you tap them and they speak. Debiie managed to get herself dragged up for that! lol... wasn't a great scene, fell to bits a bit... for some reason if in doubt i always become a 'overseer' character... usually with a clipboard. Next scene game was Sing It.. which again I'm not great at... I did it though.. but bailed myself out at the first available opportunity. Then came DUN DUN DUUUNNNN FIVE THINGS! I wans't ready for this game, I assumed it'd be cut like in the first match... i soon realised why... a) my gibberish is absymal b) I didn't know who half the references were and c) I'm crap at mime. One redeeming moment though.. I had to get him to guess that he was with Moses... so I went over to one side of the audience.. looked out and parted my hands in the middle... took a couiple of times but the audience caught on and all parted in the middle when I did it... yay... round of applause :D
Second half... I dont really remember... I was down from the first half.. although it did pick up a bit... I may have to get the video out ot remember the rest....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home