My blog is pants...

Random stuff from the Bronster... especially good to read if you happen to like me.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

A friend of Chris's was diagnosed recently with FIBROMYALGIA. It's a problem with your joints and spine and all that... for those of you who know me (certainly those of you who have lived with me for any length of time in the past) will know about my back problems.
I've always ignored it and battled on... recently it's become difficult to. The pain seems to be getting worse and last longer... nowadays if I wake up and am NOT sore then it's something I notice. Right now I am stiff and sore all down my back and neck just writing this.
Chris convinced me to check out FIBROMYALGIA because he thinks it sounds like what I may have. I resisted for a long time convinced that i just 'a bad back'.
However, I read the symptoms today and I'm stunned. Lots of things to do with my body and 'functions' and the like are in there, things I had no idea could be tied in, I just thought I was unlucky...

Here are the symptoms:

SYMPTOMS AND ASSOCIATED SYNDROMES

Pain - The pain of fibromyalgia has no boundaries. Quite often, the pain and stiffness are worse in the morning and you may hurt more in muscle groups that are used repetitively. People with FMS suffer chronic widespread pain, which can be described as burning,throbbing, shooting, or stabbing, Painful areas often include the upper back, shoulders, neck, the low back, and other areas around the joints. Many people will say, "I hurt all over."

Fatigue - This symptom can be mild in some patients and yet incapacitating in others. The fatigue has been described as "brain fatigue" in which patients feel totally drained of energy. Many patients depict this situation by saying that they feel as though their arms and legs are tied to concrete blocks, and they have difficulty concentrating. Most people with FMS complain of fatigue. It can be profound, interfering with all daily activities.

Sleep disorder - Most fibromyalgia patients have an associated sleep disorder called the alpha-EEG anomaly. This condition was uncovered in a sleep lab with the aid of a machine which recorded the brain waves of patients during sleep. Researchers found that fibromyalgia syndrome patients could fall asleep without much trouble, but their deep level (or stage 4) sleep was constantly interrupted by bursts of awake-like brain activity.). The sleep pattern for clinically depressed patients is distinctly different from that found in FMS or CFS.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Constipation, diarrhoea, frequent abdominal pain, abdominal gas and nausea represents symptoms frequently found in roughly 40% to 70% of fibromyalgia patients.

Chronic headaches - Recurrent migraine or tension-type headaches are seen in about 50% of fibromyalgia patients and can pose as a major problem in coping for this patient group.Temporo-mandibular

Joint Dysfunction Syndrome - This syndrome, sometimes referred toas TMJD, causes tremendous face and head pain in one quarter of FMS patients. However, a1997 report indicates that as many as 90% of fibromyalgia patients may have jaw and facial tenderness that could produce, at least intermittently, symptoms of TMJD. Most of the problems associated with this condition are thought to be related to the muscles and ligaments surrounding the joint and not necessarily the joint itself.

Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Syndrome - Sensitivities to odours, noise, bright lights, medications and various foods is common in roughly 50% of FMS or CFS patients.

Other common symptoms - Painful menstrual periods (dysmenorrhea), chest pain, morning stiffness, cognitive or memory impairment, numbness and tingling sensations, muscle twitching, irritable bladder, the feeling of swollen extremities, skin sensitivities, dry eyes and mouth, frequent changes in eye prescription, dizziness, and impaired coordination can occur.


Without getting too graphic - there a re a fair few of these symptoms I have... ugh...
I am STILL waiting for an appointment!!

1 Comments:

  • At May 16, 2008 9:22 am, Blogger Chronically Claire said…

    GET IT CHECKED OUT!

    My dad has been living with chronic pain for over 15 years and because he didn't ask for help he never got it! And only now that I have been diagnosed is he getting help! So please get it checked out x

     

Post a Comment

<< Home