My blog is pants...

Random stuff from the Bronster... especially good to read if you happen to like me.

Monday, September 29, 2003

Chorley To Farnham, in the Dark - A short Story

I set off at about 8.30pm, suddenly remembering I had to return keys to Ian, this I did. Went to get petrol, which took until 8.50pm as there were loasd of people trying to fill up before the prices go up. After this I was on my merry way. I reached the motorway and headed towards the M6... 30 minutes later while STILL heading toward the M6, and reaching MOrcambe, I realised I was heading in the wrong direction... it was 9.30pm. I turned, tired and confused already, and headed back the way I came. Another 30 minutes later I was at the place I was at when I went the wrong way, this time, however, I was going the right way. It was 10pm. So, I had started my journey, and used £5 of petrol on going the wrong way. 106 miles to Birmingham, I plodded on for those miles. LIstening to music, Ben FOlds and Barenaked Ladies mainly, and I reached Birmingham. Birmingham smelled of feet, it was now 11.45pm.
After doing a complete circle of Birmingham, smelling the feet, passing Cadbury's World, the NEC and Sun City, all twice, I realised something was going wrong, so I pulled off to get yet more petrol and ask the attendant. Turns out she had even littler clue than I, and didn't even know which motorway I was on. So I headed north again back to the M6, to where I knew I was. Woke up a bit, ate some pasta, nice. Got on the M40, and plain sailing til Oxford. This was when the dark started to get to me. It creeped over me like a small man with a cloak who liked to cover young ladies in darkness, in the dark, in a car, on the road to Oxford... you know the sort. I couldn't see my map as there were no street lamps, and I was too busy eating and texting at the time. So I had to pull over a great many times to convince myself that I wa going the right way. It turns out I was. Now I knew where I was going, but my senses were slowly disintergrating... it was 1.30am. About 40 miles from Farnham I notcied I was sharing my car with a large spider... this woulnd't bother me normally but in my tired state I tried to make friends with him, and when he didn't reply I decided to throw him out of the window... this he didn't like and retaliated by hurling himself in a last ditch attempt to save his life, onto my leg. I dont' know where he ended up, but I can only hope that he is happy.
It was 2am
About 20 miles from Farnham I saw a huge creature fly past the car, it was either a bat or an owl... or it was my imagniation. I had already previously seen black oily monsters try to attack my face. I saw many rabbits at the side which froze when my head lights hit them. I froze too, staring at them, they transfixed me, i was terrified that all at once they would all decide to pounce into the road and I had to dodge them all... about 15 miles from Farnham someone had left a large assortment of plastic bags in the road which made me think I was in a computer game... I didn't hit any... bonus round!
5 Miles from Farnham and I nearly crashed into a roundabout, I think I may have dozed off with my eyes wide open. Finally I arrived, parked, and went to get a ticket for the next day. It was 2.24am. I realised I didn't have any money to buy a ticket, so I would have to get up again in a matter of hours to get change to pay for my parking... RARGH!
SO here I am, after sleeping most of the morning away, after driving the early hours away, after seeing and smelling Birmingham, and the delights of the M5, that I should have never seen in the first place.
And I should be doing my dissertation which is to be handed in tomorrow - but instead I decided to write this ;)
BRON
x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home