My blog is pants...

Random stuff from the Bronster... especially good to read if you happen to like me.

Sunday, December 11, 2005


Last night, even in my horridly fluu-ey state, went to review Rich Hall at the Lowry. Got earache half way through so didn't feel great, but managed to stay til the end, glad I did it was a fun night. Here is my review:


Rich Hall, with Support David O'Doherty, 10th December 2005 – Brainne Edge

This was the first time I’ve seen comedy at the Lowry, and it seemed a very comfortable venue for it, which was great as I went to watch with steaming bad flu (I hereby apologise to the people sat in front that I phlegmed on).
The night began with David O'Doherty who I thought took to the stage with ease. He looked so comfortable throughout his set, and even ended up cross legged on the floor while telling a story. It was a lovely moment. We learned a lot about his home city of Dublin, and even heard a hip hop song where he spouted facts about himself. Also pointing out that whatever heckles he may get that night, none could top the heckles from children. In particular a 7 year old who had piped up once at a book reading “excuse me, but does this get good soon?”. Cute… *whack*. All topped off with a random stage wrecking and flipping off the audience, but in a cute way.
After a short break we were treated to an instant song from Rich Hall. After chatting briefly to a guy on the front row he discovered the comedy goldmine that is his career, IT. All hail Rich Hall as he made up a brilliant song based around it! Mostly about how grandparents will be viewed in the future, at least I think that’s what it was, classic line “grandma hangs her spreadsheets out to dry”.
He also disclosed that he loves our fair city of Manchester, and drove home the fact by slagging off London at any possible turn. Really getting into the Northern spirit. It was at this point that I noticed he had really long hands, all the better to play piano with I think, which is what he did a few more times in the set. Some very clever and funny songs.
The best moment for me though was when he asked if anyone had been to Montana, and a little voice piped up “yes”. He asked where? They said “Livingston”, he then realised he was apparently talking to his mother-in-law. “I know YOU’VE been there I f***ing took you there!”.
To top the night off David O'Doherty joined him onstage to perform another song, as did Rich Hall before leaving.
A fun night, full of rants, politics, dead dogs, music and cheer… even made me forget about my flu!

OH - and one thing I didnt' put in there, to all my Texan pals... Rich Hall officially states that TEXAS = EVIL... so there

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home